Choosing a suitable property to Eco Retrofit
Published on: www.houseplanninghelp.com
Article link: Click here
Interviewed by: Ben Adam-Smith
To listen: Simply click the play button below
The director of The House Planning Help website Ben Adam-Smith created the site to provide advice when tackling a renovation or starting a self build property. The majority of this information is sourced from experts that Ben interviews.
Our very own Ian McKay has completed a podcast through this website. Within the podcast Ian gives advice and shows his extensive knowledge on how to find a property that will lend itself well to an eco retrofit. Ian contrasts two very different projects, the retrofit of a 1960’s terraced house and an upgrade of a Victorian villa from the 1890’s.
Some of the vital points discussed in are the interview are listed below.
- Minimise Energy Demand Before Generating Energy
- Fussy Architectural Details Make Retrofits Expensive
- Simplicity is at the Heart of Houses that are Cheap to Treat
- A Terraced House Will Have Fewer Walls to Treat
- Older Properties May Have More Irksome Problems
- In the UK, Refurbishments are Heavily Taxed
- Internally Insulating to Very High Levels Can Damage External Masonry
- If You Have to Insulate Internally, Use Breathable Materials
- Consider the Different Solutions Upfront
- Conservation Orders May Limit How a Building Can be Treated
Click on the play button above to listen to the full interview!